Monday, February 16, 2009

All in a days work...

Rockin' it at the Commons....
     Being a part of The Commons has opened me up to new chapters of my life. The picture to the right was taken on a Friday morning. A group of moms met downstairs in the Corbin home for a parenting bible study, while we (Me, Kathy, & eventually Giles) were upstairs watching over their kids. I found myself entertaining the kids by getting into a life-size Barbie play house and playing my guitar to the tune of silly made up songs. Normally on a Friday morning, I am not coherent enough to think, much less to be entertaining. The kids apparently enjoyed it, though I can't sing at all. This though has built my faith in such subtle ways. I learn more and more that it is not about me. My job that morning wasn't to "baby sit" in preschool. It was to serve in the two different capacities. 

1) To allow a mom to be a part of a 2 hour bible study on parenting without having to worry about their child or finding a daycare. They are also getting the incredible ability to connect with ladies/moms in the Commons.

2) To provide a fun atmosphere to the "future generations" of the church. 

I am very willing to put my pride, dignity, and self to the side to provide an opportunity for others to experience God. To say the least, jamming out with some made up songs in a play house while having toys thrown at you was an incredible God-moment.

     The Common's on Sundays...
God continues to bless us at the Commons. We are seeing more and more new families and people on Sunday Mornings and Wednesday nights. It seems that God is beginning to build us more and more as a church. There are so many stories of how God has used the Commons to save marriages, lives, and help grow and connect people. It is vary overwhelming. It makes what we do to make it happen worth while. I am very pumped to see the future of the Commons here.

    Move to tears...
I recently had the opportunity that not many people (I believe) get to experience, especially in the South. I had the privilege to watch one of my students crack open their own Bible for the first time in their entire life! Let me rephrase this, this person HAS NEVER OWNED, READ, OR CRACKED OPEN A BIBLE IN THEIR LIFE. I bought this person a Bible and watched them crack it open for the first time. This is stuff you hear about only in foreign mission stories in the Yucatan (or a jungle country of your choice), but could it happen in the US? YES! YES! & YES!!!! When I say unchurched, I mean it. This gave me a fresh perspective on what God is doing up here in the Pacific Northwest. I love what I do, and wouldn't change it for the world. My prayer is that God will use me to the fullest.

    Please keep me in prayer...
I am in the works of planning the next few months for the Student Ministry. I want God to plan this out & not Cham. I can come up with "stuff", but I want it to be legit from God (if that makes sense). I want what I do and plan to have purpose. In the midst of this, I am still raising money, looking for a place to call "home", and looking for part-time work (preferably in graphics). Things are good though. I have learned that the faith that God truly calls us to normally places us in a place of uncertainty, vulnerability, & dependance. It makes us depend solely on Him (sarcasm: imagine that!). It draws us closer and closer.

     Thanks you...
Thank you so much for your love and support. I have sent out the first e-letter this month via e-mail. If you haven't received it and would like to be on the list, please e-mail at cham.i.am@gmail.com and request to be added. For all other info, you can e-mail me or check out the info on the right side of this page. 

Much love,
Cham

2 comments:

ashley&christy2001 said...

Cham the things that you are doing are so amazing.It is so wonderful that you are following God whole hearted and not holding any thing back. I will continue to pray for all of you guys, that God give each of you the strength to do his will. The picture of the kids playing is adorable what a precious moment that I know those mothers will always be grateful to you for. You would be suprised at how much it means to a mom to have someone care so much about there walk with God!!!

Cham McCutchen said...

Hey Christy,
Thank you for the encouragement. It is definitely an eye opener. I love the place and people and it is cool to really experience God at deeper level. Thanks for the comment.