Monday, March 15, 2010

Reality...

Definition of a Church Planter (taken from Wikipedia):


"A church planter and family move into a new location to start a church from scratch. The planter has very little connection with or existing support within the new area. The planter and their family are “pioneering” new territory. Where there is great risk, there is great reward, but this approach is not for the faint of heart and requires a person particularly gifted in personal evangelism. Advantages of this approach include flexibility, and the ability to reach otherwise unreached areas. The disadvantages might be the effort required to integrate with a new community, and possible lack of financial and personal support."



The definition above pretty much sums up the basic core of what I do. All parts of it have become a reality that I have experienced while here serving at The Commons.

My present reality is that I am severely short of funds to continue to serve full time. Today marks the 2nd time that I have not received an entire paycheck to sustain my living here. As mentioned before, I have begun the process of looking for a full time job to "keep me afloat". I do not plan to quit or move on from The Commons, but I am forced at this point to take a job no matter what conflict it has with my schedule at church.., meaning I could quite possibly miss Sundays and/or Wednesday. I definitely am not fond nor pleased with this possible reality, but I do have to sustain living some how.

I tell you all this because I believe in transparency and firmly feel that this is apart of the "journey" that most people are always afraid to discuss openly. The reality is that with any missionary, church planter, or church planter it takes financial support to allow them freedom to fully focus on carrying out the mission/ministry that God has called them to.

Currently, as mentioned in a previous blog post, I am only supported by a few individuals and a couple of businesses. I have no "Home Church" or "Missions Organization" that backs me. So I do not get a guaranteed amount every week. This is one of many risk that a church planter takes.

So, I am communicating to you the reality of my ministry right now. I have been praying, fasting, and seeking God's wisdom on finding either the financial support of job that will continue to allow me to effectively serve at this church plant. I have no doubt that God will provide, no matter how uneasy it gets. He is doing amazing things at the Church and with the people who we impact.

Please keep me in prayer as I walk through this unknown situation.
-cham

No comments: